Detainee Custody Officer - Heathrow Vehicle Base - #3175892
Care & Custody is one of the leading providers of outsourced public services to the criminal justice system in the UK.
Our philosophy is all about delivering brilliant service to the people in our care and creating great training, development and career opportunities for the people we employ.
Detainee Custody Officer (DCO) – Heathrow Vehicle Base
£23,751 per annum
37.5 hours per week ( plus overtime opportunities)
24 hour service, 365 days a year.
Rolling Shift pattern covering both days and nights.
We're looking for respectful, caring people to join our teams.
If you're the right one for us, your strong communication & interpersonal skills, non-judgemental approach, excellent problem solving skills and ability to keep calm under pressure will be the foundations to develop your Care & Custody career.
Your new role as a vehicle base DCO will be to escort and transport immigration detainees within the UK.
You'll spend time both driving a small mini bus sized vehicle and escorting inside that vehicle at different times during your shift while maintaining high standards of security and safety, and promoting the welfare and decency of detainees in your care.
Your working time will require you to cover both day shifts with varying start and finish times and nights shifts as this contract is delivered 24 hrs per day and 365 days a year.
No specific role experience or qualifications are required to be a DCO as full training and supported development are given. Experience of dealing sensitively with a wide variety of people who have been agitated, confused or angry would be an advantage.
You'll begin your Care & Custody career completing a 6 week initial training course (including a 7 day residential course in Oxfordshire) continuing your development over the next 12 months with on the job mentoring and assessments to gain our accredited Level 3 apprenticeship in Detention and Custody.
We will support you every step of the way, developing your skills to professionally deliver this rewarding, sometimes challenging role with integrity and respect.
- Be a UK citizen, Citizen of the Commonwealth with your own indefinite leave to remain (not through marriage) or EEA citizen.
- Have a valid and in date passport, with no restrictions on your stay in the UK. Please note Visa's in out of date passports cannot be accepted as proof of Right to Work in the UK. A Biometric card alongside a current in- date passport must be provided.
- Have continuously resided in the UK for the previous 5 years. Applicants must not have spent more than 3 months at any one time overseas during the previous 5 years.
- This position is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and Applicants must be prepared to undergo an Enhanced DBS check, complete employer referencing for the previous 5 years and vetting to the level of Counter Terrorist Checked (CTC) if offered a role.
Specific driving compliance is attached to this role.
- Full UK manual driving licence with at least 12 months post qualifying experience.
- Fewer than 7 points on your UK Driving Licence.
- No driving ban/ disqualification within the previous 5 years.
- Not currently bankrupt.
- You must be able to pass a red/green colour-blind test as part of your air side driving requirement. (candidates should contact their optician before applying if they have any concerns)
- Ability to achieve a successful work/life balance.
- Structured career development in a ‘People Centred' company - a top 100 UK Employer 2019.
- Opportunities to grow and develop new skills to reach a whole new potential.
- Continued personal development, beginning with your Level 3 Apprenticeship in Detention & Custody, moving onto accredited leadership qualifications with promotion to line management roles.
- A huge benefits package including pension schemes, private medical cover schemes, share schemes and MiDeals discount scheme with over 3000 offers available from your favourite retailers, leisure and utilities companies.
Applicants are warmly invited to apply, successful candidates will be progressed and invited to attend an assessment day with interview, capability assessments and full vetting screening.
6 week Initial Training Course commences: 14th March 2022
Unfortunately, we are unable to accept applications from candidates that have applied within the previous 6 months